• This topic is locked This topic is locked
95 replies to this topic

#1 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:04 PM

Recently, due to a heated topic in the general chat and complaints forum of the board, Neocodex had to be closed. You all saw the offline notice and wondered what was up. Well, this news post is here to explain all of that to you.

It all started with a simple complaint by Sham about Noitidart reading a PM she sent through the PM logs feature of the board. What was said by Sham was "Does noit know he's hated by everyone?". Noitidart read this and PMed Sham asking for more details on who hated him so that he could fix relationships. Sham called this uncalled for and made a topic to complain about the issue.

The PM logs mod has been out for a long long time now. We at Neocodex have had it installed since the days of invision power board version 1.3. Other neopets sites also have it installed, for example, evolutionize. It is a public modification made by dean of dscripting. Check it out if you like.

The point that we read all PMs is totally absurd. If I could give you a simple statistic: on average, there are 129 PMs sent across the board every day. It is impossible for us to read all of the PMs you guys send. That is why the PM logs mod comes with a nifty feature called search ;) . The words we use to search through PM logs are simple too. Words and phrases like "join my site" or "hate" are just a few. This is only to ensure that two of our rules (advertising and flaming) are not breached. This is a practice we have used for a long time and its not our faults that you guys were not aware of it.

The fact that you think that this is a breach of your security is also completely absurd as we dont need to have a mod to read PMs. Everything that is not logic based (PHP) is stored in a mySQL database. All we need to do to read PMs is go into the table that stores them.

The fact that you guys relate every little thing to the NID really hurts me. You know what it makes me feel like? It makes me want to quit Neocodex for good. It makes me feel like no matter how much we try to rectify our errors, you guys keep bringing it up. every single CRANBERRIESing time. We said we were sorry for what we did, yet you guys just like to drive it home again and again. Well, I hope you can back up your statements :( .

You may think that this is a breach of security but let me tell u right now, you are wrong. Any board that wants it has access to this modification. From invisionize statistics we know that 3,057 people have downloaded this mod. are you trying to tell me that those 3,057 are also breaching the privacy of their members? and think about it...only admins would download a mod right? those admins have forums that have members! you guys are the only ones who are complaining about it. I suggest you guys understand that this is a process that protects Codex members. and thats all. If any animosity goes through. Like I hate this person or I'm going to do this to that person we will act. That's why we log. we really dont give two shits about what u guys talk about in your PM. The quicker you guys understand what I just posted, the sooner we can get back to business.

Oh...and for the record...its not private message its personal message meaning that the whole board cant read it. only select people that are allowed to.

Now let me take a step back here and address this point. There is nothing wrong with making a complaint against the Neocodex staff. But everyone needs to understand that there is a way to make a complaint. There is a certain class required. When this class and respect isn’t expressed, then we have a problem.

Going back to the real issue at hand. The topic Sham created turned into a very heated flame war between many constituents. Posts that didn’t express the type of class one is supposed to have on Neocodex were made. A flame war of at least 10 pages occurred here on Neocodex. With topics of admin corruption and disrespect all over the boards, the board was closed down with a unanimous admin decision.

I don’t know how things work in your house, but this type of behavior will not be tolerated here. You either conduct yourself in a manner that is respectful to those above you, or you don’t post here. The way I was spoken to is completely disrespectful. And I’m not saying that just because I’m admin I deserve more respect, I believe respect should be earned. However, the way I was spoken to isn’t even a way that I would expect a member to be spoken to. Posts like this is what I’m talking about:

actually, it turned into how we were so corrupt. Well, I’m sick and tired of that word. u all call us corrupt...well, if u don’t like it here :) , there’s the door :D . Gosh...you don’t even know how much time we all put into this board...you don’t even know how many things we have given up. to spend days on here making sure things are working properly. the shit we do...and when we look up to see how you guys are taking it. we see the words, corrupt. great feeling of joy when we’ve put in hours and hours of work :) .

Immediately afterwards:

I love how hydro throws in all those smiley faces! Haha :)

Here I am pouring my heart out about how I need this to stop. Later, its made that that was only done to lighten the topic. Well, you may now read it yourself and see if that makes the topic lighter.

This is but one example. Many things like this occurred that hurt members’ feelings which is strictly against Neocodex policy. If I may make a reference to the rules:

Neocodex does not tolerate posts that are harassing or hurtful in any way.
Please don't be cruel, hateful or hurtful to other members with your posts. The staff of Neocodex does NOT tolerate any sort of harassment towards other members of Neocodex. Harassment includes, but is not limited to, any type of sexual or mental harassment. We also do not tolerate any type of discri'mination. This would mean that posts that have content that is discriminatory in ways of age, gender, race, religion, etc. are not allowed.

Those involved have been warned and some suspended depending on the severity of the posts made in these topics.

I would just like to take the time right now to express a few of my concerns to the public. Some people may not know this even though it should be very obvious.
  • The administrators are the sole decision makers of this board. We make the final decision. We take staff opinions in order to have the best course of action and usually side with the staff in whatever they suggest. There have been times where we don’t, but those are rare. Since we pay for this board (actually, just me) we reserve the right to conduct business in any way that we choose. The fact that we allow your input into our decisions is out of sheer courtesy towards you. We aren’t dictators and we aren’t mean. We value all of your input in matters concerning Neocodex and that is why we don’t always exercise our power to conduct business exactly the way we want to.

• The respect you show other members always must be very professional. You may never disregard another members’ feelings no matter what they have said to you. This goes for everyone, member, admin, programmer. No one deserves to be spoken to like we all were today. If it happens again, we will warn and suspend you. You must always keep yourself dealing in a professional manner. Any type of flaming will be dealt with.

• There is nothing wrong in calling the administration corrupt. But if you are going to do so, please back up your claims with cold, hard evidence. We were called corrupt a lot today. So much so that I had to write Subdocument A. If you don’t have the evidence to back up your claims, do not make them. Its just that simple and I don’t know how much more simple I can make it. Some of you keep saying that were corrupt but when we ask what we can do to change it, you don’t give us a helpful answer. Then when we express this to you, you get angry and say we aren’t listening. Help us help you. Not using evidence and giving a reason why or how and not listening/cooperating is not going to be tolerated. You expect to be listend to and we expect you to listen to us at the same time. This is a two sided street. we encourage disscussion not argument. argument is exchange of insults calling names
The fact of the matter is, you all need to change the way you handle yourselves here at Neocodex. With the manner of conduct I have seen here today, and had I been corrupt, you all would have been banned. The fact that you can stand up to an admin and call him names the way some of you did, and still be able to come back and post shows greatly that we are not corrupt. Read subdocument A again.

It seems that I have to make this type of post every other month. If you guys have behavioral problems, I suggest talking to a psychiatrist. Do not bring that type of garbage onto Neocodex. If you value you this community at all, you will show it respect.

Staff: Close all topics that display unruly conduct with a simple message edited into the user’s post stating that they must repost the message in a more civilized manner. Should any topic become unruly or hurtful, preempt it with a closing of the topic. Keep Neocodex a safe and fun community for all its participants.

Just to address the corruption issue one last time, Icey Defeat took an online survey of random people. Here is what they have to say about Neocodex.

I love codex

its nice

I love Codex because it sexy.  I can't articulate my true imperssion of codex into words, joyous put as crude as you may.

ok...well...I love codex, because its a very helpful community, people are friendly, staff are nice, community is very prestigous. All in all, codex is just a community that people just cant leave.

To be honest...I NEVER thought I could be so attached to a website.  Its just so sad...to see how everyone gets mad at each other...and how people shift blame....over something so small.  When codex is down....im so sad....its not even funny.

I love codex codex has been there for me where some friends havent. To me Codex is more than just a Online Comunity codex is  almost a second family to me. I apreciate and always have apreciated how much the staff of codex has done even if I dont always show it.

Codex seems to be a really tight community for most of the members who wondering online with no home.  *Point at me*..So I really like codex a lot, without it I dont even know where to go.

Please remember that only certain people are affected by this news post.

Subdocument A
Calling us corrupt really hurts us. The administration spends over 5 hours of our free time per day on this board. We spend money from our pocket and divert all money we have to support this website. We slog and slave for hours upon hours here. A good example is the downloads system that I just recently finished programming. I bet most of you don’t know that it took a week to program it originally. It then crashed during upload causing me to lose all my work. I had to rebuild it from scratch. Who did I do it for? Definitely not me. I did it for the benefit of Neocodex. After working so hard for the board, when I look to see how the members are taking it, I get slapped with the word corrupt on my face? Please don’t use this word in front of me ever again.

#2 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:05 PM

Erm, right. I went away for three hours and you guys shut the site down. Just goes to show how much you guys need me :p

#3 Hater_Boxden

Hater_Boxden
  • 1156 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:13 PM

I am not surprised about the logs I knew they were used from another site because they were used to catch 2 idiots who were discussing hacking the site through PM. Its not that bad and fighting about it when its obviously for ur own good and isnt gonna change is pointless so lets just all get along ok guys?  ;)

#4 Le Chango

Le Chango
  • 1026 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:14 PM

um, okay... im so glad were back I couldnt stand not being here!

#5 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:21 PM

I don't know what to say except that I completely agree with what Hydro said.

#6 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:36 PM

wow I was typing all ptofecinal befor lmao that went out the window now. but yaaa I have my codex back now. hehe im happy :D

#7 Insanedragonz

Insanedragonz
  • 3011 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:42 PM

Well..Atleast problem solved and hopefully everyone will back to normal with approriate behavior from now on.. :) .

#8 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

Im glad nc is back up.

Next person who says the word corrupt gets to have dinner with me and my friend Mr.Baseball bat  ;)

#9 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:00 PM

I just tryed to install somthing it said it was corrupt and dident istall. now Mr. Baseball bat how much sugar would you like in your tea?

#10 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

happy its back, I wasnt here when it happened so I wouldnt know how bad exactly it was lol

#11 Redblade

Redblade
  • 1459 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:06 PM

I see..no wonder codex was down for so long.. anyway I feel that the pm mod SHOULD be installed..if u want ur privacy, I would recommend talking out in msn or icq where you would have your own privacy..

#12 Frosty

Frosty
  • 1521 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:39 PM

Great the site is abck up man :) . I completely back you up 101% ^_^ . Well.... 100, since thats the max :ermm:... I think ;) .

#13 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:28 PM

You saw it coming, well I did any way. Then there was a topic made in complaints and I could see it rising into some more commotion. You ahouls of just closed it when the commotion was happening or even shut down the board earlier. It took 6 pages for you to realise that.

#14 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:33 PM

There we go again, with all the sensitive emotional stuff.

You guys gotta admit, there is a problem with the staff as well as with the members. We arent the ones that cause it all the time.

#15 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:34 PM

There we go again, with all the sensitive emotional stuff.

You guys gotta admit, there is a problem with the staff as well as with the members. We arent the ones that cause it all the time.

View Post

Euphy, you should read some of the closed threads. There is some serious shit going down.

#16 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:47 PM

Serious shit, hah, I've been participating in those threads..

#17 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:50 PM

Raeiphon, your attitude is the reason we have closed the board and come back. If you cant behave yourself and act in a manner of respect then please dont post on these forums.

#18 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:59 PM

Yeah, I say something you dont like, :p

I'm not breaking a rule, im stating the obvious - you try to make us feel bad for your mistake in the first place, by going all emo! That aint right, we havent done anything wrong.

#19 Frosty

Frosty
  • 1521 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:01 AM

Yeah, I say something you dont like, :p

I'm not breaking a rule, im stating the obvious - you try to make us feel bad for your mistake in the first place, by going all emo! That aint right, we havent done anything wrong.

View Post

Not all of you, I agree. But mainly 4 people :( .

#20 Harley

Harley
  • 3138 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:04 AM

Everyone hate neocodex hates Noit? That perportuous. Noit is a friendly and helpful staff member here at codex. I dont see why he is hated, if you hate him you obviously dont have a soul..

#21 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:05 AM

What was said to kim in staff was appauling, I wont show you but trust me, it shows a completely different side to noit.

#22 Harley

Harley
  • 3138 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:07 AM

If I dont have access to what he said. It is unofficial of whatever he said in there..

Meaning more than likely, I cant beleive anything.

#23 Guest_Xth Cannon_*

Guest_Xth Cannon_*

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:47 AM

The way everyone acted was a whole bunch of bullshit. I dont even know why people thought it was corrupt. I believe codex is as good as ever... only reason I can think of is the download mod hasnt been completed yet and all those noobs start complaining... I don't know, but the whole thing is just stupid. Congratulations hydrogen and rest of staff for taking action like you did. I dont think all the members do appreciate the ammount of effort into the board. I saw a few posts where members bad mouthed you, not only is it unnaceptable but it is unfair and unjust. Thankyou for all the work you put it out of your own time,you truly are an inspiration to us all :D

#24 Typhoon

Typhoon
  • 4133 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:23 AM

Everyone hate neocodex hates Noit? That perportuous. Noit is a friendly and helpful staff member here at codex. I dont see why he is hated

View Post

Actually there are quite a few people who hate Noit on here, and it's probably more people than you think (I won't name names)

if you hate him you obviously dont have a soul..

View Post

What? The people hate him because they've seen what he's been capable of saying/doing. And I've seen some of the things he's posted about Kim and they're not acceptable.

But I've promised I'm going to calm, cookies anyone?

#25 Guest_Analogue_*

Guest_Analogue_*

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:30 AM

yeh, I'll have a cookie.

Well, whatever, Noit has DONE, it surely doesn't matter. All of us aren't perfect... we can say stuff that we may or may not mean... *puts hand up* I like Noit.  :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users