Quantcast

Photo

The plans for Advanced Membership

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
177 replies to this topic

Poll: The plans for Advanced Membership (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Which plan do you want?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#101 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

I like the prospect of voting.

As much as I despise DonaldMax, he HAS tried to clean up his act and if he keeps up with it I would vote for him in the affirmative.

Saying that, I am a bit weary on the voting system when it comes to myself. I've tried to make my posts legit but I know I have pissed people off. I'm opinionated and brass. This can make me come off looking like an ass. I don't give a flying fuck about it but when it comes to voting time I'd hope people would say yes, despite my perceived asshattery, and get over it in the sense that I've contributed to the community in a non-spammy sort of way.

I don't think it'd be wise to add on yet another title somewhere in here. The fact that you'd get bragging rights to a separate part of the forum still won't deter people from getting to 500 ASAP so that they can use one copy of abrosia. You'd need voting on both advacements (which seems redundant to me and more work). 4 seems to be the best fit, although not the best of options, it's still the best.

Edited by Narcissa, 08 July 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#102 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

I don't see why the spam consideration can't be made by a single staff member. Whoever happens to be online.

#103 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

I'm pretty sure we've established that the admins don't have time, and that they probably wouldn't want that burden of responsibility.
There's no one to specifically blame when it comes to voting.

If the community would take the time to click the report buttong when they see someone post a Spam post. There would be 0 need for this change. But apparently the community is too lazy, but they will still complain about the spammers, so we are forced to make a change.

The last time I saw an admin was like 1 week ago

I saw one today.

I'm pretty sure some of the Programmers already have some admin rights? Just not the title.. and they don't have the final say.

Anyway.. voting equals = less work for them tbh and that's always a good thing.

We all have mod rights, plus some other things. But yes, waiting on the Administration to make decisions is a problem we are having, and a problem we are working on solving. Just hang tight.

An admin posted in this thread, silly :p

To try to calm some nerves, yes, there have been some drama about people not getting accepted, but that's exactly why they didn't get accepted. They weren't mature enough not to throw a shitfit and we knew it. It's poor form, really. Since donaldmax was brought up, I will say that I can think of at least 4 people in his situation get to be good, well respected members, some even voted into retired or made mod. Seriously. It might seem bad now, but once someone shows maturity, most people tend to forget why they used to hate members. They don't hold grudges because the past doesn't matter. It's the way people act now that does. People grow up. Even us "old" members understand that despite being grumpy gits.

I'm pretty sure if this happens, the world will divide by 0 and all will collapse. No, no, no. Maybe some programmers but good lord not all of them. *shudders*

Probably one of the most hypocritical posts I have seen.

At work on my mobile... But this has to be the absolute worst idea I've seen on codex this week. Waser? Sure. Iargue? The site would implode.

Do you know how much I've ran the site behind the scenes when no one else was around? The site is doing better then ever for some strange reason.

#104 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

How so?

(Also, fucking multiquote. Shit.)

#105 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

I don't see why the spam consideration can't be made by a single staff member. Whoever happens to be online.

It can, but not one bothers to report posts as spam. Thus this entire issue exists.

How so?

(Also, fucking multiquote. Shit.)

At least half of the retired members still hold onto my past, and refuse to forget about it.

#106 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

At least half of the retired members still hold onto my past, and refuse to forget about it.

That's not a grudge. That's a well reasoned and supported character judgement.

(Better?)

#107 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

That's not a grudge. That's a well reasoned and supported character judgement.

(Better?)

Then how have I been part of the staff for two entire years? If your judgement was correct, they would have kicked me out ages ago.

#108 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

Then how have I been part of the staff for two entire years? If your judgement was correct, they would have kicked me out ages ago.

Because they like having someone to do the shitwork.
Someone who's grateful for it.

#109 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

Because they like having someone to do the shitwork.
Someone who's grateful for it.

If your opinion of me was accurate. I'm positive they would want someone else.

#110 Badger

Badger
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

I voted Plan 4.

And... what? There's a NP gen? I thought that thing became void ages ago...

Or is there a new one I don't know about? :shifty:

EDIT: Never mind, got my question answered...
Wow, you guys really do like to bicker.

Edited by Trixic, 09 July 2011 - 03:30 AM.

#111 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

And you're so certain I was specifically talking to you? You know I've been civil with you and I really don't think I should say what I want to right now, but please don't think that everything's about you. It's really very arrogant. I could add more, but I won't.

#112 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

Yowza I should really stop going out. Anyway:

Certain people can be redeemed: as I said, Zevrom deserves advanced members when I was one of the first people to call him out when he was being a d-bag. I'm biased, but I'm human. I'm willing to forgive

People such as danielfromburn reached advanced, gloated and became a gigantic asshole and basically said "hah, i have program privileges now, fuck you all". That's just bullshit. Same with Nunc. He trolled to 500 and only came back to troll more and to trade. Fuck that.

Donaldmax/Sodium has not improved enough by my eyes; mostly because it's only been like three days since he's been less of a troll. So no, at this point if he were at 500 posts I would not vote him in to advanced. But if he continues this for a few more weeks, I will most likely reconsider. But hey, that's just me.

As for the popularity contest, there are only a few people who didn't deserve advanced. I would even say Maha deserved it since he at least was on the forum and active for over 2 months, even if he was a dumbass and I was glad when he got banned. It's more so people who make it clear they're going to peace-out once they get advanced that really annoys me. To me, Peonyourlawn, Umadbro, Ayoforyayo and Frostz pissed me off more than Maha ever did.

#113 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

I've created an algorithm which should correctly determine whether somebody deserves advanced.

/* Calculates whether a user deserves to be advanced */
function deservesAdvanced( &$user ) {
	/* Calculate score */
	$activity = log( $user->posts / ( round( $user->registrationDays / 365, 3 ) ) ); // Activity
	$reputation = log( $user->reputation / $activity );
	$grammar = log( ( $user->averagePostLength / 5 ) / $user->spellingErrorsPerPost );
	$intelligence = $user->iq / 30;
	$bonus = ( $user->playsNeopets == false ) ? 2.5 : 0;
	$cumulative = $activity + $reputation + $grammar + $intelligence + $bonus;

/* Some safety filters */
	if( substr( $user->username, 0, 1 ) == 'i' && substr( $user->username, 1 ) == 'argue' ) {
		$cumulative = 0;
	}

return ( $cumulative > 15 ) ? true : false;
}

#114 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

I've created an algorithm which should correctly determine whether somebody deserves advanced.

/* Calculates whether a user deserves to be advanced */
function deservesAdvanced( &$user ) {
	/* Calculate score */
	$activity = log( $user->posts / ( round( $user->registrationDays / 365, 3 ) ) ); // Activity
	$reputation = log( $user->reputation / $activity );
	$grammar = log( ( $user->averagePostLength / 5 ) / $user->spellingErrorsPerPost );
	$intelligence = $user->iq / 30;
	$bonus = ( $user->playsNeopets == false ) ? 2.5 : 0;
	$cumulative = $activity + $reputation + $grammar + $intelligence + $bonus;

/* Some safety filters */
	if( substr( $user->username, 0, 1 ) == 'i' && substr( $user->username, 1 ) == 'argue' ) {
		$cumulative = 0;
	}

return ( $cumulative > 15 ) ? true : false;
}

If you made grammar into a negative component everyone would have negative scores.
Have you seen the "your"s and "youre"s around here

As much as I love him, the safety filter was funny.

#115 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

If you made grammar into a negative component everyone would have negative scores.
Have you seen the "your"s and "youre"s around here

As much as I love him, the safety filter was funny.

My grammar is stupidenous

#116 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

I believe we just had a trial period for newly promoted moderators.
It wasn't really a separate position, as far as I remember.

Nope, that's where you're wrong ^_^ Trial Mods had their own Permissions mask and everything (for about a month) before the rank got deleted. Weren't you one of the T-Mods? I could've sworn you were...

What about people like donaldmax, for instance, who.... at the beginning of their venture acted like a troll, but after basically being ganged up on by everyone to stfu has attempted to be a real member but still gets bashed on, and people still dont like him. (Sorry to say, but this is myself included) What happens to people like him when it comes time to vote?? We can all say we wont be biased... but as far as I know we are all human... and flawed.

But honestly whatever, I voted for the best plan that I thought would work and thats all I can do about it really.

Okay, that one kid might be an extreme example, but one thing Private had going for it was that everyone was allowed to apply, and everyone got voted on. Even d-max would get a vote, although, judging from his infamy, he probably wouldn't get in. It sucks, but sometimes it's the easiest way to tell people that their behavior is less than ideal.

To remove the voting bias from being "I don't like you RAOR I vote NO artichoke!", perhaps it would be better to PM a group of mods/admins in charge of that voting set, with a predefined Subject heading (like Voting Yes to Boggart!) so it's easier to sort, with an explanation as to why you're voting the way you are. You should only mail once concerning the voting for that person, rather than spamming the poor mod's inbox. This would enable people to write their views privately, and all the mods would get the explanation. At least this may somewhat remove the need for them to try and figure out why Person X got lots of votes in the negative, or positive.

I'm somewhat against the entire ranking system. As it stands now, it's barely noticeable to me, but I'm not interested in seeing groups of members gaining a superiority complex. I like how things are now, the only thing I can think of is for mods to be given the right to use their discretion to crack down on spammers, without being penalized after.

Voting in the past was always conducted by anonymous vote. That was kind of rendered moot though, because we'd discuss the applicants as we voted, so everyone ended up knowing how most everyone voted anyway. The voting was done over the board, in a section not viewable to the public through a poll (like the one in this topic) which is infinitely easier to tabulate the results of compared to PMing the section leader or whatever. That would SUCK!

#117 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

Yowza I should really stop going out. Anyway:

Certain people can be redeemed: as I said, Zevrom deserves advanced members when I was one of the first people to call him out when he was being a d-bag. I'm biased, but I'm human. I'm willing to forgive

People such as danielfromburn reached advanced, gloated and became a gigantic asshole and basically said "hah, i have program privileges now, fuck you all". That's just bullshit. Same with Nunc. He trolled to 500 and only came back to troll more and to trade. Fuck that.

Donaldmax/Sodium has not improved enough by my eyes; mostly because it's only been like three days since he's been less of a troll. So no, at this point if he were at 500 posts I would not vote him in to advanced. But if he continues this for a few more weeks, I will most likely reconsider. But hey, that's just me.

As for the popularity contest, there are only a few people who didn't deserve advanced. I would even say Maha deserved it since he at least was on the forum and active for over 2 months, even if he was a dumbass and I was glad when he got banned. It's more so people who make it clear they're going to peace-out once they get advanced that really annoys me. To me, Peonyourlawn, Umadbro, Ayoforyayo and Frostz pissed me off more than Maha ever did.

Nunc is banned, what the fuck are you even going on about?

And you're so certain I was specifically talking to you? You know I've been civil with you and I really don't think I should say what I want to right now, but please don't think that everything's about you. It's really very arrogant. I could add more, but I won't.

So who was your post about? Pyro, who doesn't ever post unless it programming related? Waserlave, who everyone loves? No. you'ved made fun of my past as iruleatants before, and it makes you just like sweeney. Unable to forget who I was years ago. i honestly considered you different, but you have made fun of me as "iruleatants" as well as other members several times.

#118 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

Boggart. I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion.

People say I improved, etc... It's because I haven't been stating my opinion as much. Or even better, I haven't been stating my honest opinion. Because if I do state my honest opinion, I get bashed. Quite frankly, I don't enjoy getting bashed on by some of you. I do get kind of upset from getting bashed on. Maybe it's because I'm different and I have a different perspective. Maybe it's because you can't accept people for who they are.
Call my posts stupid or what not, since there are no dumb people in the world, but I am not a troll nor do I try to be one. It's who I am.

#119 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

People say I improved, etc... It's because I haven't been stating my opinion as much. Or even better, I haven't been stating my honest opinion. Because if I do state my honest opinion, I get bashed. Quite frankly, I don't enjoy getting bashed on by some of you. I do get kind of upset from getting bashed on. Maybe it's because I'm different and I have a different perspective. Maybe it's because you can't accept people for who they are.
Call my posts stupid or what not, since there are no dumb people in the world, but I am not a troll nor do I try to be one. It's who I am.

Props for taking the high road.

Codex has been criticized in the past because we expect our members to be of a certain... shall we say mental maturity? But your response was honest, and what's more, entirely correct.

Piece of advice: don't censor yourself. It sounds like you're starting down a path that isn't easily undone. If people don't like your opinions, fuck them.

That said, others have the right to disagree with you. But that's not a bad thing! If we didn't correct people on their incorrect assumptions, there would be a lot of dumb people in the world. And you wouldn't want to be one of them, would you?

#120 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

Nunc is banned, what the fuck are you even going on about?

He was on for quite a few months continuously trolling before he got banned. I know he got banned argue, I was there when the decision was made.

Oh really?

"Your sounding really stupid right now.
Like you never got jealous in your whole life.
"oh I don't know, everyone else in the thread? "
What you just said is called representing. Go look it up in the dictionary if you don't know what it means.
You should go see a doctor. It seems like you have problem with what you did in the past. ("Ummm... when did I say") You just said it 19 minutes ago yet you forget.
And you just answered your own question. "curious"
No shit? Curiosity is why I want to hear people's thoughts on the subject. I'm simply curious. Seems like you can't deduce that from my most obvious previous posts. Think before you speak. Stop sounding like an idiot."

I did say you were improving, but the shit you've said in the past have been fucking out of line. While I'm all for giving people second chances, you still have to own up for the shit you've done.

#121 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:31 AM

He was on for quite a few months continuously trolling before he got banned. I know he got banned argue, I was there when the decision was made.

Oh really?

I did say you were improving, but the shit you've said in the past have been fucking out of line. While I'm all for giving people second chances, you still have to own up for the shit you've done.

Don't you understand that this vote isn't supposed to be about, "Did he troll" or "was he an asshole". It supposed to be "Did he spam to 500?" And THAT IS IT.

#122 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:43 AM

So who was your post about? Pyro, who doesn't ever post unless it programming related? Waserlave, who everyone loves? No. you'ved made fun of my past as iruleatants before, and it makes you just like sweeney. Unable to forget who I was years ago. i honestly considered you different, but you have made fun of me as "iruleatants" as well as other members several times.

We're all a product of our respective past, nobody just stops being a particular person and completely recreates themselves, it's not possible.

#123 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:58 AM

We're all a product of our respective past, nobody just stops being a particular person and completely recreates themselves, it's not possible.

That's what Reincarnation is for :)

#124 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:33 AM

That's what Reincarnation is for :)

Yeah...

*knows better than to start a spirituality/religious thing*

#125 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

*sigh* Do you really want to make yet another topic about yourself again? Really?

And as far as talking about your past, you need to lighten the hell up and learn to laugh at yourself. What you did in the past was hilarious and yes, I like remembering it and laughing. It doesn't mean I give a shit now nor does it mean I'm going to judge you for what you did in the past. I don't. I judge you for the way you act now. What happened in the past, still happened. As long as this forum exists, it will be remembered and made fun of so I suggest you get used to it as it seems you haven't yet.

I still plan on treating you civilly, but please stop making an ass of yourself. Respond as you will, but I've made my peace. Good day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users