• This topic is locked This topic is locked
140 replies to this topic

#51 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

The rules need to be adjusted and updated :unsure:

If we change the rules just for one person then that person has already won.

We're handling kami12 already, he will violate our forum rules on his own trying to incite the reaction that he is looking for and he will be banned in due time. We're well aware of the situation, thank you for pointing it out.

We?

#52 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

If we change the rules just for one person then that person has already won.

I agree, furthermore I feel as though our rules adequately cover this area completely and fairly.

They are aimed to target trolls such as kami. Due time he will either adjust his behavior or raise his warn to 100% and be permanently banned. So lets not worry about it.

#53 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

No. It is a good way for people to scale how productive, social and friendly a person is (and whether or not they have contributed to the site).

What does rep tell you, that just posting around here in the community for more than a few days does not?

#54 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

What does rep tell you, that just posting around here in the community for more than a few days does not?

Rep is definitely a good indicator of awesomeness.

#55 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

If someone saw your posts (out of context of course) then they would think that you are just a troll.
Once looking at your rep though, they can see that your are considered an overall positive and productive member of codex.

#56 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

Why would I bother justifying my opinion, when you didn't bother justifying your suggestion?

My justification: I think that the community consensus would reflect the staffs decision to make someone mod if that person deserves to be made a mod. As you pointed out, there are mods which perhaps shouldn't be mods anymore yet they maintain their position; and the community seems to know this. I just think it would be more effective than having the admins discuss and then act once they realise something isn't as it should be.

We're handling kami12 already, he will violate our forum rules on his own trying to incite the reaction that he is looking for and he will be banned in due time. We're well aware of the situation, thank you for pointing it out.

I was unaware you formed part of the staffing team.

Edited by Oss, 26 August 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#57 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

If someone saw your posts (out of context of course) then they would think that you are just a troll.
Once looking at your rep though, they can see that your are considered an overall positive and productive member of codex.

One wonders how I managed in all the years before the rep system.

#58 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

I don't thi-

I don't understa-

What has Sweeney posted that is even remotely troll-like?

#59 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

My justification: I think that the community consensus would reflect the staffs decision to make someone mod if that person deserves to be made a mod. As you pointed out, there are mods which perhaps shouldn't be mods anymore yet they maintain their position; and the community seems to know this. I just think it would be more effective than having the admins discuss and then act once they realise something isn't as it should be.

If you think the consensus would reflect the admin decision anyway, then you've made your suggestion moot.

#60 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Joe can be quite marmitey.

#61 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

One wonders how I managed in all the years before the rep system.

The rep system is just a faster indicator of your position on this site.

#62 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

The rep system is just a faster indicator of your position on this site.

But an unreliable one.

#63 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

He can come off a bit...strong.

#64 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

But an unreliable one.

Who would you imagine is more reliable?
Someone with no rep or someone with 40?

Though I agree that it isn't the best indicator, it is still a pretty good one.

#65 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

If you think the consensus would reflect the admin decision anyway, then you've made your suggestion moot.

-----------------------

I don't thi-

I don't understa-

You said it yourself- your first impression of him that he was a dick.

Edited by Oss, 26 August 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#66 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Joe can be quite marmitey.

Ahh, I haven't had marmite yet so I don't know what that means.

He can come off a bit...strong.

Coming off strong does not a troll make.

#67 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

You also have to take into account that a significant proportion of our users can be dicks and would therefore vote somebody in who they know would be entirely unsuitable. :p

Ahh, I haven't had marmite yet so I don't know what that means.

It's a substance easily mistakable for faeces in both taste and appearance but some people apparently like it. I'd guess that Joe is a marmite person.

#68 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

Who would you imagine is more reliable?
Someone with no rep or someone with 40?

Though I agree that it isn't the best indicator, it is still a pretty good one.

You didn't understand my post.
Rep is an unreliable indicator of anything. It'd be better not to have it at all, so people had to get to know each other properly, rather than basing decisions on a meaningless number. It's all very well to point out the extremes like Laser or Kami, but in between those lies a mire of uselessness.
How much rep did Bummer have before he ripped someone off for hundreds of dollars?

*quotes*

I don't think you've written what you mean. Try and clarify.

#69 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

You didn't understand my post.
Rep is an unreliable indicator of anything. It'd be better not to have it at all, so people had to get to know each other properly, rather than basing decisions on a meaningless number. It's all very well to point out the extremes like Laser or Kami, but in between those lies a mire of uselessness.
How much rep did Bummer have before he ripped someone off for hundreds of dollars?

Bummer was an unfortunate case.
It is impossible to get to speak to every member of this site and though I agree that an opinion of someone should not ​be made solely on rep, it serves as an indicator of their current standing on the site (superficially)

#70 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

It's a substance easily mistakable for faeces in both taste and appearance but some people apparently like it. I'd guess that Joe is a marmite person.

I do not taste like faeces.

#71 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

I do not taste like faeces.

Which part?

Spoiler

#72 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

1-8) Sure, why not.
9) Stop free-for-all name changes. Jesus fuck, but that's annoying.
They may take our lives, but they'll never take our free-for-all name changes!!!
10) Remove rep.
Rep is worthless, kill it with fire.h

#73 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

I can see both sides of the debate on rep, I can see perks to new members of the community trying to figure out who is trustworthy and rep can have an influence on that. I remember when I first joined and I was trying to determine who I would trade with, I would usually take a bit of a loss to trade with someone who was more reputable based on rep alone.

#74 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

I can see both sides of the debate on rep, I can see perks to new members of the community trying to figure out who is trustworthy and rep can have an influence on that. I remember when I first joined and I was trying to determine who I would trade with, I would usually take a bit of a loss to trade with someone who was more reputable based on rep alone.

That's why we have user feedback.

#75 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Yeah but that, in my opinion, is more easily abused. Even now I feel rep would be a better basis to go on than trader feedback.

Look at a certain user who was selling services for 100np a piece just to get a good trader score.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users