Missing Malaysian Plane

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#76 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

Not true, most flights you can have your phone switched on but it is supposed to be put in airplane mode (any electronic devices are) which will shut off all the signals the phone sends and receives (no Bluetooth, wifi, cell reception etc).  Devices are supposed to be switched off during take off and landing but can be switched on once the flight is in the air.

They can be on, yes but there will be no service or connection. You are too far away from cell towers so there is no difference when having your phone in "airplane mode" versus being on at 35,000 feet.

I always leave my phone on when flying and never turn it off. I often text before I've even landed (but that's when you are close enough to the earth to have a signal, not when you are nearly 7 miles in the air.)

#77 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

plane.png

#78 Magical

Magical
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this member!

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

Oh brother... this topic...

In relation to the area where the large debris were found + the man off the oil rig who saw a burning object, seems very plausible. I know they can't find anything over there floating, but how about sonar/searching below the water?

#79 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Experts are saying that at least some debris should be floating on the water, if it exploded. Apparently some parts of the plane are like floating devices - the wings perhaps? Though I remember reading somewhere that salt water swallows parts up fairly quickly?

Edited by Peaches09, 13 March 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#80 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

It was spotted on Sunday, so when the word broke out about the Chinese satellite Images, it had already been ~5 days. I'm sure it would've sunk, wouldn't it?

#81 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

It was spotted on Sunday, so when the word broke out about the Chinese satellite Images, it had already been ~5 days. I'm sure it would've sunk, wouldn't it?

I would say it's underwater too  :unsure:

#82 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Man this whole investigation is a shambles...

#83 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Have they tried searching the ocean?

#84 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:19 AM

^ Idk. It's so disorganised. You'd think with this much involvement that it wouldn't be such a mess...

#85 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

Have they tried searching the ocean?

Don't know if you're serious. It's pretty hard to search the ocean itself; it's huge.

#86 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

Don't know if you're serious. It's pretty hard to search the ocean itself; it's huge.

That was not a serious suggestion, Syntax.

#87 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

xD Lol, that's why it's such a mess. They keep ocean hopping. Now they're in the indian ocean!

Bizarre that the phones keep ringing...

#88 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

xD Lol, that's why it's such a mess. They keep ocean hopping. Now they're in the indian ocean!

Bizarre that the phones keep ringing...

"What about reports that passengers' cell phones continued operating after the flight's disappearance?

The answer to the question about meteors and conspiracy theories applies here, too. When phones are disabled or turned off -- which would presumably happen after a plane crash -- calls to those cell phones go directly to voice mail. Friends and loved ones of the missing passengers, however, reported ringing when they called. Technology industry analyst Jeff Kagan says a call would connect first to a network before trying to find the end user, and the ringing sound callers hear masks the silence they would otherwise hear while waiting for the connection to be made. "If it doesn't find the phone after a few minutes, after a few rings, then typically, it disconnects, and that's what's happening," he said."

#89 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Buoyancy

how does it work 

#90 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

At this rate they are never going to find the plane.

(CNN) -- [Breaking news alert, 5:05 p.m. ET]A classified analysis of electronic and satellite data, conducted by the United States and Malaysian governments, calculates Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 likely crashed into the Indian Ocean on one of two possible flight paths, CNN has learned.

One flight path suggests the plane crashed into the Bay of Bengal off the coast of India, and the other has it traveling southeast and crashing in the Indian Ocean, according to the analysis.

#91 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

I'm not going to believe anything they say until they actually find the plane.

#92 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

First it's here, then it's there, then it's back here, now it's over there, now it's everywhere. How they can even keep track of the places they've said it should or should not be is beyond me. Might as well comb through the entire planet. Maybe it went through a portal and is in the Arctic now.

#93 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

Every time I turn on the news it says "BREAKING NEWS: We haven't found shit" and it really confuses my grandpa.

#94 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

"What about reports that passengers' cell phones continued operating after the flight's disappearance?

The answer to the question about meteors and conspiracy theories applies here, too. When phones are disabled or turned off -- which would presumably happen after a plane crash -- calls to those cell phones go directly to voice mail. Friends and loved ones of the missing passengers, however, reported ringing when they called. Technology industry analyst Jeff Kagan says a call would connect first to a network before trying to find the end user, and the ringing sound callers hear masks the silence they would otherwise hear while waiting for the connection to be made. "If it doesn't find the phone after a few minutes, after a few rings, then typically, it disconnects, and that's what's happening," he said."

O.o Ah thank you for the enlightenment! xD

#95 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

Every time I turn on the news it says "BREAKING NEWS: We haven't found shit" and it really confuses my grandpa.

:lol2: That's funny! xD But so true. They need to stop broadcasting until they get their shit straight! :p

#96 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

the case is a comedy gold, apparently:

http://www.theonion....eview:3:Default

#97 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

http://www.latimes.c...,0,356436.story

*flips all the tables* 

There's supposed to be a conference about it soon apparently.

#98 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

@Emily

Missing Malaysia Airlines plane: investigators say jet was hijacked

the age headline. They're saying it's conclusive now. O.o

#99 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

A hijacking certainly makes more sense than most of the random theories being put about. :p Of course it doesn't mean that they didn't crash later on but it explains why they aren't in the areas where they would have been if it had just crashed/exploded where contact was lost.

#100 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

@Emily

Missing Malaysia Airlines plane: investigators say jet was hijacked

the age headline. They're saying it's conclusive now. O.o

Hijacked by aliens!! I've been reading about this story and its so insane to me that no one seems to know anything! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users