• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#101 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

I just ran/walked 1.5 miles, and now I feel like crap. Stupid exercise induced asthma, my throat tastes like blood but there isn't any blood at all. Ugh. At least I made to 1. 5 miles! 

#102 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

I just ran/walked 1.5 miles, and now I feel like crap. Stupid exercise induced asthma, my throat tastes like blood but there isn't any blood at all. Ugh. At least I made to 1. 5 miles! 

I used to get that a lot, it's fairly common (just google "metallic taste after running", loads of people experience it) if you go past a level that your cardiovascular fitness is happy with. Something to do with your heart or lungs working harder than they can comfortably manage I think...can't remember and can't be bothered to go read up on it again. :p Be careful if you're asthmatic though! 

I still get it when I run outdoors in the winter because I really struggle with my breathing in the cold. :(

#103 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

I used to get that a lot, it's fairly common (just google "metallic taste after running", loads of people experience it) if you go past a level that your cardiovascular fitness is happy with. Something to do with your heart or lungs working harder than they can comfortably manage I think...can't remember and can't be bothered to go read up on it again. :p Be careful if you're asthmatic though! 

I still get it when I run outdoors in the winter because I really struggle with my breathing in the cold. :(

I know that struggle with the cold. My inhalers freeze up and stop working, which made running track in March, when it was freezing last year a huge problem. 

I keep trying to log it, but it's a 15 minute mile and the highest any tracker goes up to (that I've found) is 11.5-12 minutes. Apparently, no one runs a mile over 12 minutes. I've tired doing it by pace, but mines 4mph, and no one goes below 5.5.

Edited by Satsuki, 21 April 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#104 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

I know that struggle with the cold. My inhalers freeze up and stop working, which made running track in March, when it was freezing last year a huge problem. 

I keep trying to log it, but it's a 15 minute mile and the highest any tracker goes up to (that I've found) is 11.5-12 minutes. Apparently, no one runs a mile over 12 minutes.

Nightmare isn't it? I had a little bout of pneumonia a couple of years ago (who the fuck gets pneumonia? Victorian orphans. And me) and have a bit of scarring on my lungs from it; as soon as the weather turns I'm just done for. My husband reckons he can tell how many weeks it is until Christmas by how long I'm still wheezing after a run. Because he's a dick like that sometimes.

I definitely used to run/walk >12 minute miles when I very first started. :p Just make a rough note of the distance and time sometime, you don't need to be 100% accurate to start. Or ever really. It's just nice to shave seconds off your time or marginally increase your distance! But to start with, you'll be able to see that with your own notes, and by the time you really want/need to track things, you'll be sub-12 mins. :)

I'd expect it's because you're alternating between walking and running which reduces the pace quite a lot (but is definitely the way to start!). I think the average person walks about 3mph, so by the time you're consistently running, you'll be fiiine.

#105 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

Nightmare isn't it? I had a little bout of pneumonia a couple of years ago (who the fuck gets pneumonia? Victorian orphans. And me) and have a bit of scarring on my lungs from it; as soon as the weather turns I'm just done for. My husband reckons he can tell how many weeks it is until Christmas by how long I'm still wheezing after a run. Because he's a dick like that sometimes.

I definitely used to run/walk >12 minute miles when I very first started. :p Just make a rough note of the distance and time sometime, you don't need to be 100% accurate to start. Or ever really. It's just nice to shave seconds off your time or marginally increase your distance! But to start with, you'll be able to see that with your own notes, and by the time you really want/need to track things, you'll be sub-12 mins. :)

I'd expect it's because you're alternating between walking and running which reduces the pace quite a lot. I think the average person walks about 3mph, so by the time you're consistently running, you'll be fiiine.

Yea, I'm alternating. When my school made us run the mile, (every year we took gym they made us take these fitness test things), I was always that one kid slowly running around the track all alone because everyone else had already finished. We didn't find out I had asthma until the end of eighth grade, when I had to go to the nurse because I couldn't breathe after getting through 3/4 of the mile that year. 

#106 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Yea, I'm alternating. When my school made us run the mile, (every year we took gym they made us take these fitness test things), I was always that one kid slowly running around the track all alone because everyone else had already finished. We didn't find out I had asthma until the end of eighth grade, when I had to go to the nurse because I couldn't breathe after getting through 3/4 of the mile that year. 

It's the way to go fo'sure. If you can manage to go out fairly regularly, you'll be amazed at how quickly you build up the ability to just run or how far the gaps between walks become.

My main problem is that I am absolutely terrible at pacing, I can run flat out or not at all. Which is why I end up training on a dreadmill so much, so I'm forced to run at a set speed. :(

#107 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

My main problem is that I am absolutely terrible at pacing, I can run flat out or not at all. Which is why I end up training on a dreadmill so much, so I'm forced to run at a set speed. :(

This so much, my natural running speed is like a 7 minute mile. I can either run, jog at like 5mph or walk pacing myself is so difficult. I can't run on a treadmill comfortably since my stride is almost the length of the machine so my back foot is about to fall off the machine when its time to pick it up :(

#108 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

I can't run at at all :/ I can powerwalk though. I usually walk a 15 minute mile, which is pretty slow but I feel if I maintain a good pace my heartrate is still pumping.

i'm excited to ride my bike, the weather is nice so I'll probably go out after work and ride around the neighborhood and see how it feels (it's been eons since I last rode a bike).

#109 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

I will take a selfie on my bike when people in the community aren't looking

#110 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

I can't run at at all :/ I can powerwalk though. I usually walk a 15 minute mile, which is pretty slow but I feel if I maintain a good pace my heartrate is still pumping.

i'm excited to ride my bike, the weather is nice so I'll probably go out after work and ride around the neighborhood and see how it feels (it's been eons since I last rode a bike).

If you can powerwalk you can run. :p

I will take a selfie on my bike when people in the community aren't looking

Do not fall off. 

As well as Head Cheerleader, I'm also now your friendly Road Safety Monitor. Full service you get with me.

#111 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

I can't run because of this. Whenever I try, I get that taste/feeling in my throat, horrible side cramps, and I end up gasping for air/hyperventilating. Someone suggested I might have exercise induced asthma when I was younger, but my breathing has been fine every time I've gotten it checked out (probably because I don't go for a run or do intensive cardio before my doctor's appointments). I don't know how I managed to get away with not running the mile when I was in school.

I would like to be able to enjoy running, but I need to figure out how to breathe properly while exercising before I do anything.

#112 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

If you can powerwalk you can run. :p

nuuu my legs don't work that way >_> ok maybe once i lose a few pounds running wont be so bad

#113 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

I can't run because of this. Whenever I try, I get that taste/feeling in my throat, horrible side cramps, and I end up gasping for air/hyperventilating. Someone suggested I might have exercise induced asthma when I was younger, but my breathing has been fine every time I've gotten it checked out (probably because I don't go for a run or do intensive cardio before my doctor's appointments). I don't know how I managed to get away with not running the mile when I was in school.

I would like to be able to enjoy running, but I need to figure out how to breathe properly while exercising before I do anything.

Alternate running (at a slow speed) with walking and build it up. There's a couple of apps out there that talk you through running programs for absolute beginners so you don't even have to try and count how long you've been walking/running for. I honestly used to be exactly the same, running for even 2 minutes solidly would have me believing I was going to die, I just couldn't get enough air into my lungs. I could cycle and row and other cardio just fine but I just thought my body wasn't designed to run. And now I do it for fun:o

#114 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Wish I had more time yesterday so I couldve sent in my pic, but oh well.

Will still be cutting with you all!

Just wanted to say good luck to all those partcipating! It's never easy or simple, but the end result is so worth it!

#115 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

Alternate running (at a slow speed) with walking and build it up. There's a couple of apps out there that talk you through running programs for absolute beginners so you don't even have to try and count how long you've been walking/running for. I honestly used to be exactly the same, running for even 2 minutes solidly would have me believing I was going to die, I just couldn't get enough air into my lungs. I could cycle and row and other cardio just fine but I just thought my body wasn't designed to run. And now I do it for fun:o

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only person who has had trouble with running, specifically.

I downloaded one of those apps a year or two ago, got halfway around the lake near my house, sat down on a random person's lawn, and called my sister to come pick me up. That was actually when I decided running just isn't for me. :p

I'm willing to give it another shot, though.

#116 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

Pre-med student that tutors anatomy popping in with an answer to the metallic question as well as some explanation on "exercise induced asthma." There's a few reasons for this pathology and in the cold, they exacerbate each other. It's not intended to scare anyone, but have you heard of people with heart failure having pulmonary edema, or fluid build up in the lungs? Well, the reason is because your right ventricle pumps old blood into the lungs to be reoxygenated. If the left ventricle (it's smaller and not as strong) can't keep up with the right ventricle, you can have fluid accumulation in the lungs. Usually this is interstitial fluid/plasma and not actually blood. Your heart is a muscle and needs to be built up just like your others. You can't bench 100lbs immediately. Some of us never can. So, when you push yourself too hard, your left ventricle can't pump out all of that blood into the rest of your body. 

Plus, in the cold, you start taking in air from your nose and your mouth. The reason we breathe through our noses is because the air first goes into our sinuses to be better cleaned, warmed, and humidified. When we run, we must take in more oxygen so we breathe through our mouths as well. When we do that, the air is still cold and dry. This decreases the temperature of our bronchioles or lung branches. To try to save this very essential part of our body, blood flow is increased to the area to warm it back up. Your lung pathways become inflamed and start swelling shut. Edema/fluid can accumulate this way as well because our bronchioles are very leaky under increased pressure from the swelling because it relies on surface tension to keep "dry." So, you have fluid build up from overexerting your heart and fluid buildup from the swelling of your lungs which makes it very hard to breathe and even worse on your already tired muscles. 

Why do you taste metal, you ask? Well, along with some of that fluid can be some red blood cells. In order to hold onto oxygen, they have a protein called haemoglobin. There are roughly four atoms of iron per haemoglobin and there are many per red blood cell. While you cannot see blood, some of those red blood cells are carried up your trachea in phlegm which causes the metallic taste. This is also why you produce more phlegm when you run in the cold. Your lungs see the red blood cells and other matter as debris and expels it. Your taste buds are very receptive to the taste of iron which is why, even at small amounts, you'll taste it.

So it's a harmless process for the most part, but I'd suggest you try to work at aerobic levels until you feel comfortable to build that heart muscle up slowly, at least until it gets warmer. That double whammy mechanism really doesn't help.

#117 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

Wish I had more time yesterday so I couldve sent in my pic, but oh well.

Will still be cutting with you all!

Just wanted to say good luck to all those partcipating! It's never easy or simple, but the end result is so worth it!

Post progress pics of your body anyway, thanks.

#118 Fat

Fat
  • 30 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Seems like everyone's doing great  :) It's already 22/4 at my place. 

I used my Niki Running app on my iphone when I ran. (And I am planning to resume running.) Is it accurate at all?

#119 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

I keep trying to log my food, but most of it isn't in the myfitnesspal database, and I can't get calorie info for it. Whole Foods salmon hot dogs, delicious but so annoying because they don't have calorie info. I'll just eat one and hope it's not calorie heavy. 

As for the Niki app (did you mean Nike?), I once tried to calibrate it by walking around a track for a mile. A mile is 4 laps, and I hit 4 laps but it didn't say it was a mile. I had to go into a couple feet or so for into a 5th lap to get it to record a mile. It should be pretty accurate though. 

Edited by Satsuki, 21 April 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#120 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Pre-med student that tutors anatomy popping in with an answer to the metallic question as well as some explanation on "exercise induced asthma." There's a few reasons for this pathology and in the cold, they exacerbate each other. It's not intended to scare anyone, but have you heard of people with heart failure having pulmonary edema, or fluid build up in the lungs? Well, the reason is because your right ventricle pumps old blood into the lungs to be reoxygenated. If the left ventricle (it's smaller and not as strong) can't keep up with the right ventricle, you can have fluid accumulation in the lungs. Usually this is interstitial fluid/plasma and not actually blood. Your heart is a muscle and needs to be built up just like your others. You can't bench 100lbs immediately. Some of us never can. So, when you push yourself too hard, your left ventricle can't pump out all of that blood into the rest of your body. 

Plus, in the cold, you start taking in air from your nose and your mouth. The reason we breathe through our noses is because the air first goes into our sinuses to be better cleaned, warmed, and humidified. When we run, we must take in more oxygen so we breathe through our mouths as well. When we do that, the air is still cold and dry. This decreases the temperature of our bronchioles or lung branches. To try to save this very essential part of our body, blood flow is increased to the area to warm it back up. Your lung pathways become inflamed and start swelling shut. Edema/fluid can accumulate this way as well because our bronchioles are very leaky under increased pressure from the swelling because it relies on surface tension to keep "dry." So, you have fluid build up from overexerting your heart and fluid buildup from the swelling of your lungs which makes it very hard to breathe and even worse on your already tired muscles. 

Why do you taste metal, you ask? Well, along with some of that fluid can be some red blood cells. In order to hold onto oxygen, they have a protein called haemoglobin. There are roughly four atoms of iron per haemoglobin and there are many per red blood cell. While you cannot see blood, some of those red blood cells are carried up your trachea in phlegm which causes the metallic taste. This is also why you produce more phlegm when you run in the cold. Your lungs see the red blood cells and other matter as debris and expels it. Your taste buds are very receptive to the taste of iron which is why, even at small amounts, you'll taste it.

So it's a harmless process for the most part, but I'd suggest you try to work at aerobic levels until you feel comfortable to build that heart muscle up slowly, at least until it gets warmer. That double whammy mechanism really doesn't help.

Yeah, see, this is basically what I said but with science!!

I mean. TLDR @Tetiel. Always.

#121 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Really long post

All I could think after reading "Usually this is interstitial fluid" was:

#122 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

I keep trying to log my food, but most of it isn't in the myfitnesspal database, and I can't get calorie info for it. Whole Foods salmon hot dogs, delicious but so annoying because they don't have calorie info. I'll just eat one and hope it's not calorie heavy. 

The nutrition facts aren't on the package? I used a similar app (Calorie Counter I think?) back when I did Weight Watchers, and it didn't have the most comprehensive database, but there was a way to log nutrition info manually. It also allowed me to scan barcodes. I've never used myfitnesspal, but I can't imagine it not allowing you to add foods that aren't on their list.

#123 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Myfitness Pal allows you to enter new foods and nutrition info. I used to use it a lot and when I would try new things I would add it.

Also Calorie Counter  is great too to search for different serving sizes if you aren't sure.

#124 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

The nutrition facts aren't on the package? I used a similar app (Calorie Counter I think?) back when I did Weight Watchers, and it didn't have the most comprehensive database, but there was a way to log nutrition info manually. It also allowed me to scan barcodes. I've never used myfitnesspal, but I can't imagine it not allowing you to add foods that aren't on their list.

Not when they don't come in a package. They come direct from the seafood section, so they're wrapped in paper with just the price on them. You can add foods that aren't on the list on myfitnesspal, it's just that i can't add salmon dogs because I don't know the calories, so adding them would be sort of useless.

#125 Psyduck

Psyduck
  • 431 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Proud of each and every one of you!!

On an unrelated note, even with my high ankle sprain and all, was able to get into the pool today and swim about 500m with a fin on my right foot to support my kick

If anyone is interested, I can start a fitocracy group and we can all track our workouts and all!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: biggest loser, weight loss, teamwork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users